Discription of Albendazole
Trade registered name: Eskazole, Zentel
Function: anti-helminthic drugs use for treating the following ailment;
- Trichinellosis: infestation by trichinella larvae that are transmitted by eating in-subsequent cooked meat (mostly pork); larvae move from the intestinal tract to the muscles where they finally settle and become encysted.
- Ascariasis: intestinal wall infection cause by Ascaris lumbricoides
- Enterobiasis: infection caused by the pinworm Enterobius vermicularis; occurs especially in children
- Hookworm infection: cause by Necator americanus and Ancylostoma duodenale.
Come in 400mg tablets
For treatment of Trichinellosis, strongyloidiasis
Children above 6 month and adult, should be given 400mg/day for 3 days
Children above 6 month but weigh bellow 10kg, should be given 200mg/day for 3 days
For treatment of Ascariasis, hookworm and enterobiasis Infection
Children above 6 month and adult, should be given 400mg for single dose
Children above 6 month but bellow 10kg, should be given 200mg for single dose
For treatment of enterobiasis case, after 2 to for week of the first dose, second dose can be administered to the patient.
For treatment of Trichinellosis Infection
Children above 2 years, should be given 10mg/kg/day in 2 divided dose for 11 to 16 days
Adult should be given 800mg/day in 2 divided doses for 11 to 16 days
Never administer the drugs to following patient;
Patient with a cysticerosis
Children less than six month
The following reaction may take place when taken the drugs
- Gastrointestinal disturbance
The following may take place with a patient undiagnosed neurocyticercosis, headache and dizziness
A pregnant woman during her first trimester
But no contract indication when Breast feeding.
For the way the drugs should be taken, follow the manufactural instruction.
Ivermectin is more sensitive in treating strongloidiasis
Storage; follow the manufactural instructionNaijaBlog.ng